Orchard View Technology
|David Huck||Kyle Huck|
|OV Instructional Technology Coach/
February 2014 Muskegon County voters passed the Technology and Security Enhancement Millage for area public schools. The Orchard View Technology and Security Committee, comprised of staff volunteers and parents, prioritized the immediate technology and security needs in the district. A plan was put into place for the first year of funding. Since our needs exceeded our annual allocation, the committee continued to develop a district-wide plan so we were best able to provide for continued safety and technology integration for our students and staff.
First year projects already made a positive impact. Below is a list of technology and security projects for the first year of funding:
- District-wide wireless infrastructure was completed in summer 2014
- Outdated and failing desktop and laptop computer stations were upgraded or replaced (most hardware was 8+ years old)
- Cardinal desktop labs (60 units), desktop teaching stations (150 units), laptop mobile computers (60 units), middle school Lego laptops (30 units), Response to Intervention laptop lab (30 units), high school Chromebooks mobile labs (60 units)
- Mobile plug in stations for all mobile labs
- Robotic class software
- Technology licenses, software and hardware upgrades
- Fulltime School Resource Officer
- New exit door emergency number system installed
- New Key Card Access for designated exterior doors
- Security indoor and outdoor lighting
- Security camera upgrades
- Technology Technician Services through PESG
The following year’s project list included, but was not limited to: enhanced ‘single point of entry’ and building check points, replacement cameras and DVR recording systems, radio communications, expanded robotics education program at the middle school, research of 1:1 computer accessibility options and instructional technology training for staff, students and the community.
Technology and Security Millage Update
Below is a slide presentation with updated information about the Orchard View Technology and Security Millage. Choose a thumbnail image at the bottom to see a full-size version of the slide. If you wish to print it out, click here to download the pdf of the presentation.